Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Hankie Quilt with Crazy Quilting Embellishments

I got the idea to make a hankie quilt after my mother passed in 2011, and I found some hankies in her things, which included my grandmother's things.  I bought additional hankies on E-Bay, and also got really nice ones from a very nice lady on Free Cycle in Sonora, CA.

I had been looking around the web for a pattern and did find some, but the ones I preferred were the crazy style ones.  I was able to find an out of print book by Cindy Brick, Hanky-Panky Crazy Quilts, on Amazon that was exactly what I was looking for.  The method is very well explained.



The technique consists of using the corners of the hankies, arranging them first around the outside edges and working inward.  Then you can add a border, embellish and finish like a crazy quilt.

Here is what I have done so far:

Hankie corners pinned in place; the next step is to tack down with little stitches.



Below the border and lace have been added and some embroidery is done.  The green ribbon inside the lace is zig-zagged with polyester thread.  I stitched herringbone over it in white and you can't see the zig-zag.


My first spider web in the center.  Actually my second.  I did a practice web on a spare naked block.  Thank you, Kathy Shaw, for your Spider Web Tutorial !


Close ups of each quadrant, so far.  It is pretty busy, and some of the stitches are hard to see, but I think that if I keep the stitching on the darker side it will be okay.   I like the overall look.  









No comments:

Post a Comment