Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Allie Aller's Crazy Quilting Class on Craftsy

I am a big fan of Craftsy, and when I saw this class, I had to get it right away.  I told myself I would not start until I got some of my UFO's out of the way, and the wait was torture!

Finally I got started.  I have been collecting fancy fabrics, threads and trims for a while and now have plenty (is there such a thing in the quilting world?

Allie instructed us in four different ways to make a crazy quilt block: Flip and Sew, Curved Flip & Sew, Freezer Paper Appliqué and finally Intuitive Appliqué.

The class was very complete and informative, and I probably watched it 10 times!   By the time I was able to start, I had a good feeling about it.

I cheated and started directly with fancy fabrics, instead of the suggested cotton, because I had made 5 or 6 flip and sew blocks from cotton while waiting to start  the class.  

Those will become pot holders, because in my haste and zeal I chose too many busy fabrics and the result was disastrous: you can't see any of the stitching.  Not that these first attempts at stitching were worth seeing...

Here is one of those:




 Finally, I was able to start the class:

Block 1: Straight flip and sew




 

Block 3: Freezer Paper Method - Fan Block


 Block 4: Intuitive Appliqué (in progress)



Finished quilt


Close ups of each embellished block :





Quilt Label.  I don't know why it will not stay horizontal; it was the correct orientation before I uploaded it from Aperture.  Anyway you get the idea of how I did it.  Printed from computer onto printable fabric sheets, then bordered with trim and embroidered on (herringbone stitch).





No comments:

Post a Comment